Thursday, December 15, 2011

December 15th, 2001



I pick up the butterfly cane and make off to the Post Office with the last of the Grandchildren's  parcels.

On the way I pass the church and see Paul and Christine with a ladder to the roof, reaching to the bell tower where the old train bell is being very balky and needs greasing.  A few years ago our son, Sid, built a lovely new bell tower in his steel shop to replace the old, but decrepit original, and the tower was dedicated to God and to the memory of the two brothers Charles lost in World War 11.  I am warmed by what these young people are doing, as they look forward to hearing the bell on Christmas Day and ringing in the New Year, and I know that Charles will be so pleased.

I continue on to the Post Office, where the subject is the nippy weather, - but 'no snow yet, thank goodness', goes echoing around from one Christmas mailer to another!  I say nothing - to me, a prairie girl, it is not winter until it snows, and certainly not Christmas!

As I come from the P.O. I hear the bell!!  Tentative at first, but then pealing quite gloriously.....well, as gloriously as an old train bell can manage...

This morning we waken to snow!!!!!  Beautiful.....

Life is good.




3 comments:

Wanda..... said...

Sounds perfect there with the bell pealing and waking to a morning of snow.

Dimple said...

Lovely picture, Hildred. We also have snow, after a long time without. But I am of a similar opinion to those you overheard.

Merry Christmas to you and Charles, whether with snow or without! Jesus was born and did His work, and it is good to remember!

My name is Riet said...

What a lovely picture Hildred. We haven´t seen snow yet unlike last December we had so much snow we never had before. Have a nice weekend