Sunday, January 03, 2010



Yesterday was a kaleidoscope of emotions as I celebrated my 85th birthday.

Firstly, as I woke to a still dark morning, there was the WOW factor. A surprising rush of gratitude that I have attained this age in good health and with an awareness of the beauty that surrounds us in both complex and simple things. The complexity that accompanies our relationships with family and friends, and yet the simplicity that is reflected in the way these intricacies are dissolved in love.

Birthdays are family affairs, - warm and loving. Birthdays so soon after the celebrations of Christmas and the New Year are in some danger of being viewed as just a tag-a-long tail of the comet, but I have found that on the contrary they absorb all the love and good feeling that is floating around as a result of the meaningfulness of Christmas.

My younger daughter made a delicious cake that was parceled out to a succession of young visitors, and I reveled in the chance to be in their company. There were wonderful phone chats, beautiful and loving cards, happy birthday wishes in my 'in-box' and on Facebook, and I felt thoroughly spoiled, - even unto today when we shared the last little bit of the delicious cake with family from down the hill.

I went to bed, pleasantly weary and smiling, - thankful to all the dear ones who made the day so sweet.

7 comments:

Rinkly Rimes said...

A Happy Birthday to you. Though you sound so happy my wishes are probably not needed.

Dimple said...

Happy birthday! May God bless you today as He did yesterday, with love, family, friends, good memories, and good things to remember!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Belated birthday wishes Hildred. Isn't it lovely that as one gets older so somehow one can appreciate things all the more. Glad you had such a lovely day - may you have many more such birthdays.

Hildred said...

Oh Rinkly, birthday wishes are always welcome and thank you all for your kindness in offering them. It is so true that age brings appreciation, - the quiet, slow times that overtake us are conducive to a little meditation and somehow it's easy to fill the heart and mind with lovely things. It's kind of a day by day existence when you are more vulnerable, but the propensity to make plans never seems to leave!! Which is a blessing....

Aussiemade said...

Belated birthday greetings. You guys are so inspirational. Such a positive vibrant picture of a well rounded life. I love reading your posts and sharing in a part of your lives. My Dh is a lot older than I am and He too is a vibrant, positve man, whoose life is to be lived and has great contentment, joy and he is surrounded as you are with love. From one Goat to another again belated Happy Birthday.

Barb said...

Dear Hildred, A belated but heartfelt Birthday wish - your 85th! You are so young at heart - your writing reflects that - but you are certainly my mentor. Keep writing and sharing - good health to you and Charles!

Hildred said...

Dear Barb and Aussiemade, - thank you so much for your kind words and good wishes - I have to say that I think good health contributes a lot to feeling young, and that is probably the luck of the draw! Oh, and contentment helps too.