Saturday, January 23, 2010

An Update on the Sock Project



Just starting the second sock of the second pair - establishing the habit.

I'm going to be one of those people who say, virtuously, "I just can't sit without doing something with my hands!"

Not only that, I plan to be a paragon of multi-tasking...

Have been listening to e-books while I knit in the evenings. I just finished C.S. Lewis's allegorical tale of the "Great Divorce" which he wrote in response to Blake's "Marriage between Heaven and Hell". Philosophically Lewis was trying to diffuse Blake's theory that all roads lead in the end to the same place, and that there was no advantage to choosing the high road over the low road. Interesting, but I'm not sure that Lewis is a shining light to today's society.

Now I am just beginning Wallace Stegner's "Angle of Repose". Both this book and "Wolf Willow" sat on our shelves for many years, but were victims of the Great Downsizing when we moved from the house we rattled around in and filled with the Great Accumulation that resulted from six children and sixty years of marriage.



I read both books a number of times, as well as Stegner's "Collected Stories", and look forward to knitting two, purling two while enjoying them both again.

When I scribbled down my own childhood memories I was mindful of the words Stegner used in the foreword to his Collected Stories concerning autobiography...

"I am not to be trusted with it. I hate the restrictiveness of facts. I can't control my impulse to rearrange, suppress, add, heighten, invent, and improve. Accuracy means less to me than suggestiveness; my memory is as much an inventer as a recorder."

Is this the mark of a great story-teller, and if so, what of truth????

4 comments:

Barb said...

As usual, Hildred, you give me fodder for thought! I like the idea of "suggestiveness" - don't you? It's so interesting to me that two people can experience the same event at the same time and come away with two very different interpretations. Now - about "multi-tasking" - I've been reading brain research that says it just can't be done...

The Weaver of Grass said...

What is truth after all, Hildred? It is only our version of it - another's version would probably be totally different. As for multi tasking, is it not what we woman are famous for -cooking the lunch, nursing the baby, answering the door etc. Like the look of your socks - like baby clothes they are fun to do because they don't take too long.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Interesting Hildreth. I almost didn't read it all because I'm not a knitter, but I'm so glad I did.
Love that you are multi-tasking; I'm not as good at that as I used to be. But the intriguing part to me was your quote and that gives me a lot to think about. We know people who, in conversation "tell a great story"; they might sometimes exaggerate the facts a little for that good story, but as long as it doesn't harm anyone is it really a lie? Hmm.... I will be thinking! Nice post.

And I do like the looks of your socks -- I just know my limitations and knitting/sewing are a couple of them.

Hildred said...

Barb, I would be interested in knowing more about the brain research that says multi-tasking is not possible, - couldn't have been researching female brains!

And Weaver, I cannot help but agree with you about the relevance of truth and its dependence upon who is remembering; is the experience positive or negative to them personally, and how has their version of the truth affected their lives?

And as you say, Sally, does a little exaggeration and suggestiveness really matter??? As long as they don't affect the great basic truths, - who can make a list of those??