Wednesday, July 02, 2008

My Summer Project

Occasionally the idea of doing something creative will be charged by seeing a photo, talking to someone about a new way of doing things or reading about innovative projects. A small germ of interest soon grows into a full blown desire to jump right in and start creating...

Not so with this summer's activity, - the germ has been around for a long time. Ten years at least since I started collecting beautiful jewel coloured silk shirts with the idea of using them in some splendidly sensuous recycling adventure.

I bought them at the Bargain Centre, - people saved them for me, - I would receive small parcels of beautiful silken garments (silk shorts for men, fancy blouses and shirts, the odd skirt or pair of trousers.) I treasured them all, and here is part of the magnificent stash I have accumulated.


In the last few years it has grown increasingly embarrassing when friends inquire about the status of the silken stash, and I have to admit that although it is growing, the time is just not right to commence the weaving process. Research, - oh yes. Lots of dreams and nebulous plans, but no action as of now.

As Mary Todd Lincoln has been quoted, "my evil genius Procrastination has whispered me to tarry til a more convenient season"

On the other hand, Mark Twain (ever wise and practical) has said "twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the Trade Wind in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

It was the 'twenty years' that brought me up short. Twenty years from now I expect that weaving up a great stash of silk ribbons will be far beyond me, and if they are not to be an eternal embarrassment to me it is high time I quit dreaming and "wove the straw into gold" to paraphrase Rumpelstiltskin.

First, of course, there is the Research. A dangerous delight in itself. It can so easily turn into a project all on its own.

I have some lovely ideas. Bags, small rugs, cushion covers, some twice woven silk chenille, finely woven coverlets, or vests....the list is endless, but the details have not yet taken form.

I find a picture of a lovely silk durry and upon examination I envision the width of the silken ribbons I must cut from these slippery silk garments... It inspires me to the point where I am not discouraged about the task, and am moved to go and find the cloth pad and cutter which my sister once gave me (somehow foreseeing this special need for it...)

If you stick around or drop in occasionally I will let you know how goes the battle between Inspiration and Procrastination. What better time to face the foe and end up with some gorgeous Christmas gifts and a quiet conscience.

1 comment:

Fonnell/Grammie/mom said...

Oh my do this project, it is so colorful and pretty. What an adventure. It reminds me of my jeans collection. Not nearly as lovely as silk but I envision great things I could weave, if only I could get past the thought of cutting and sewing all those strips together.

Good luck. Can't wait to see it grow into something. It's a beautiful collection.