Saturday, February 16, 2008



Prayers
which it behooves the Aging to earnestly consider.....

LORD, Thou knowest better than I know myself that I am growing older and will some day be old. Keep me from the fatal habit of thinking I must say something on every subject and on every occasion. Release me from craving to straighten out everybody's affairs. Make me thoughtful but not moody; helpful but not bossy. With my vast store of wisdom, it seems a pity not to use it all, but Thou knowest Lord, that I want a few friends at the end......

Keep me reasonably sweet; I do not want to be a Saint - some of them are so hard to live with - but a sour old person is one of the crowning works of the devil. Give me the ability to see good things in unexpected places, and talents in unexpected people. And, give me, O
Lord, the grace to tell them so. Amen

Oh, it is a continual struggle - my sister tells me it is the result of being a first born...

And another prayer, which I carry with me, but to which I have not been mindful lately...

Heavenly Father, accept this prayer we offer in Christ's name. Forgive us, we ask, for our lack of joy as we insist on taking things too seriously - we waste the few days of this life in disappointment and conflict. For the coldness in our manner and eyes when we have so much to be thankful for, help us to smile again. Let us not miss the simple pleasures of this life that make us laugh and give reason to praise your creation. With a seriousness of purpose and a spirit of fellowship in our hearts, restore our lives, forgiving any contageous gloom we may have inflicted on others. Amen.

These thoughts haunt my morning hours today, the anniversary of the birth of our truly sainted mother who accepted all of life with a courageous and loving spirit, and spread tenderness and inspiration amongst all who knew her. Generous with giving of herself and never missing "the simple pleasures of this life that make us laugh and give reason to praise our creation" .
Remembered with love and gratitude -Dorothy Emily Grace - one with the angels.


This morning's sunrise - much to hold in awe and be thankful for...




No comments: