Monday, March 06, 2017

An Irish tune

ABC Wednesday
March 8th, 2017

The letter is I for Irish (tune)

When I got married many wonderful things
expanded my views on life

and I got gathered up into a family
rich in Irish tunes

Here is one of the favourites,
sung with melancholy sometimes,
raucously at others,
depending upon the supply of Irish whiskey.

An Irish Comeallya


A "comeallya" is a good old familiar
comfortable shoe kind of Irish song
usually good for a sing-a-long

This is not a sentimental ditty, per se
and one would not expect to cry over it

but memories bring me to tears.

For more Is visit here at ABC Wednesday
with thanks to all who maintain
this lovely meme

p.s.  traces of Ivan Skavinsky Skavar in this tune
you may find yourself humming it..
another "I"

9 comments:

A Heron's View said...

COBBLERS !
It is a song written by the emigre Russian Irving Berlin and therefore not Irish.

Hildred said...

Oh, -I didn't have that information. I have the sheet music which shows the composers to be Ray Perkins and Henry Burr, - well, whoever wrote the song it is dear to the hearts of the Irish and they have adopted it with a certain amount of fondness and proprietorship....

photowannabe said...

Delightful.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I don't care who wrote it, that IS an Irish tune -- and I loved listening to it.

I liked very much what you said about your life expanding after you married. After you've been together as long as you and Charles were (and as long as we have been) family traditions and customs seem to blur -- we each bring family traditions and lore into our new family and I at least often forget that a particular celebration or culture or food or whatever hasn't actually been part of my entire life (just most of it).

Hildred said...

You are so right, Sallie - the combining of families makes life so much richer, and lucky are whose who are able to experience this gathering in...

Roger Owen Green said...

I enjoyed the tune!
ROG, ABCW

MelodyK said...

Marriage gives a lot more than we realize at first ;-)

Wonderful music


Have a nice ABC-day / -week
♫ M e l ☺ d y ♫ (abc-w-team)
http://melodymusic.nl/20-i/

Leslie: said...

Fun song with its Irish lilt!

Leslie
abcw team

Joy said...

One of those songs that everyone can sing along with. I'm going to Ireland in June, I know I will find music.